Environmental Policy for this Congress
Climate change is one of the biggest issues facing our world today and every single one of us should place the upmost importance on preserving and protecting our world. In every industry and every business, we can all make steps, no matter how small, to make a positive difference and reduce our impact on the environment.
At Teenage Cancer Trust we are committed to reducing the environmental impact of our activities and where possible reduce, re-use or recycle to offset our carbon footprint.
We are aware of the potential environmental cost a large international conference could have, so the organisers and hosts have drawn up an environmental policy for the AYA Global Congress 2020 and we would encourage all of those attending to read the policy and help make the Global Congress a more sustainable event.
As a provider we are committed to:
- Providing a central London venue with excellent transport links and accommodation options nearby
- On-line event planning reducing unnecessary travel where possible and using public transport
- Cutting back on printed promotional literature and providing information on-line and on a dedicated conference app
- Providing web-based registration, abstracts and evaluations
- Using environmentally-friendly materials when printed materials are required
- Providing re-useable badge-holders and lanyards which can be recycled at the end of the congress
- Encouraging all speakers, suppliers and staff to travel via public transport and carbon off-set any international flights
- Asking all speakers, suppliers and staff to adhere to our delegate guidelines below
- Eliminating the use of single use plastics whenever possible
- Asking all suppliers to provide their green policy and ensure we are using the most efficient and environmentally friendly methods throughout the event process
At the venue we are asking that they provide:
- Locally sourced, seasonal ingredients for catering wherever possible
- Own bottled water and glasses (no single use plastics)
- Crockery for all catering and drinks (no single use plastics)
- 30% of menu choices are vegetarian
- Focus on food waste, so that very little is wasted
- Environmentally-friendly products whenever possible
- Aim not to use single use plastics wherever possible
- Reuse and recycle wherever possible
The De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms has a Green Tourism Silver Award.
As a delegate we are asking that you:
- Travel by public transport where possible and carbon off-set any flights booked
- Share lifts and taxis when public transport is not an option
- Re-use towels and linen provided by your hotel
- Read and utilise all information provided on-line and don’t print off materials where possible
- Download the conference app for all the latest developments on the congress
- Use recycle bins provided in the conference venue
Teenage Cancer Trust is committed to providing a better, greener event and we would ask everyone involved with the Congress, from speakers, staff, suppliers and delegates to do their part, and for all of us to consider the environmental impact of our actions.